Tuesday, September 27, 2011

And the race continues....

All I can say is thank the lord I could drink this past week. My sweet little embryos are growing in a lab 1500 miles away and all the while I am kept in the dark. It felt like Miles being in the NICU and I couldnt call the nurse every morning to get a detailed report on his weight and number of pees, poops and apneas. I created them for goodness sakes - I want daily reports. Which ones are still with us, do they look strong, what can we do to help the weak ones, is the embryologist giving them enough attention....please give me something!

But alas, after weeks of daily phone reports on my progesterone and estrogen numbers, I hear nothing from CCRM, save for a call from the business office to tell me they are having a problem running the $430 charge for the anesthesia. I expected this. I had been told I wouldnt get a call until Tuesday but it still wasnt easy. I missed seeing the familar 303 area code pop up on my iPhone, the nurse's bright cheery report and the assurance that all was well.

And finally Tuesday arrived. I held my phone close to ensure I wouldnt miss the call. While my son played and grabbed trains from screaming small tots, I stared at my iPhone willing it to ring. Every fifteen minutes, Dave texted and wondered if maybe I had the day wrong. Finally, finally after Miles finished lunch, my favorite 303 number popped up. 

She made it quick. Out of the eleven embryos, 4 made it to blast. Three are good quality, one is so-so but can definitely result in a pregnancy. Two others were still growing today but not enough for them to be able to biopsy. Of course, I question if I can keep those slow-growing potential future children just because they cant biopsy them. Does it mean they cant result in a pregnancy or just that they cant biopsy them? I never got a clear answer. It will have to wait for my regroup with Dr. Surrey tomorrow morning.

Net, net. We still look good. I had been told that around 30% of embryos make it to blast or Day 5 so we are on target. Now its 40% of blasts are normal so fingers crossed that we get our 1. The race continues.  I like to think we are at Mile 15. Broken down a bit but still strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment