Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Bhutan anyone?


Easy first pregnancy then six years and a whole hell of lot of loss and ART for second at 41 and then voila surprise healthy third pregnancy at 43. Whats the trick? A visit to Chimi Lhakang, a fertility temple in Bhutan, and getting whacked on the head with a piece of wood. Charlotte Bacon tells her story in Sunday’s New York Times and to a 40 year old woman with a perfect son and then 4 failed IUIs and 3 failed IVFs with a chromosomal termination and miscarriage along the way, let me say I was inspired.

Bhutan has been on my wish list for years. I meant to go back in 2005 when I had a couple weeks in between jobs but I put it off then I met Dave and well, it never seemed to work out. So learning that there is a miracle fertility temple in one of my bucket list destinations gets me thinking. And before I could even ask, Dave told me I could go. He’d stay home with Miles.

Of course, I shared this with my girls and I got some other takers. After the thousands we have spent on futile fertility treatments that promised success, really what is so wrong about spending $10k to fly to Bhutan to get hit on the head with a stick? I’d guess my chances of success are about the same as doing another IVF treatment if not a little better. And it would be much more interesting and a hell of lot less painful than another Mayan massage from Esther. 

And bonus would be a chance to meet the five women in real life who have been my source of sanity this last year. If anything, we can be assured of a lot of belly laughs, amazing culture and scenery and a crazy experience. And the rest of my friends in real life can honestly say that I’ve lost it.

No comments:

Post a Comment