Thursday, February 24, 2011

A night out

For those still counting, I am on day 11 of the 2ww. Monday is my beta – fertility speak for blood test. I wont lie. Its been a rough time so when a friend invited me to see Prince last night at the Oracle Arena, I jumped at the chance. If it were only that easy, as my dear husband reminded me.  Every night around 10 pm, he gives me a shot of progesterone in my butt to support the embryos that we hope are still growing inside me. Given that I was going to a concert, I might not be home until midnight. Would it be okay to take it a couple hours later or earlier before I went out.

Oh the inconveniences of IVF never end! It took me two calls to UCSF, two different nurses and two different answers. The first, who rushed off the phone to search out her own Prince tickets, gave a firm no. It must be given at the same time, every night. The second nurse, who informed that the first was merely an IVF coordinator and not the in-cycle nurse, and has no authority to give those directions, said it was a-okay. A couple hours here or there made no difference.

Permission granted! And then another crisis. Dear husbands car (well actually my car from pre-marriage) died on the Bay Bridge at 6 pm. Once he reassured me he was safely off the bridge and didn’t cause an accident or major traffic delay, I frantically called every babysitter, including the ones I swore off due to heavy perfume and other oddities not worth getting into, because who knows when he’d get home now. One no after another – that’s what you get for using college students that either have a life, need to study or are already booked – and I despaired. At 7, there was no way, we’d make it to Oakland in time.

He walked in the door at 7:20 pm just in time to sit down and read Miles the last books of the evening. An hour later, my friend and I were happily in our nose-bleed seats in Oracle Arena, sharing the excitement with our friends on Facebook and listening to what we thought was Sly and the Family Stone or something like that. Prince came on at 9. Rocked us through songs of my high school years – Little Red Corvette, 1999, Purple Rain, Jungle Love and much, much more until we left after the last encore at 11:30. Click here to see the whole set list.

And at 12:30 am, the shot was delivered. Only two hours late. A great respite from thinking about the 2ww!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment