Monday, November 21, 2011

Yes I am lucky


So last Thursday at my Junior League meeting (yes, I joined the Junior League which is so not me but I really like it), the get-to-know-you icebreaker was to tell everyone where you live and how old your kids are. As usual, I was the only one in the room to have one child. This caught some attention. “You only have one?” one woman called out, “Wow, you are so lucky!” All of the other women gave each other knowing glances and laughter. Yes, just one is so lucky. I wont deny that but please, have the sense to not say that to a woman of a certain age with a small child.

I am sure this nice woman meant no harm but seriously just because you got pregnant with your three kids on command does not mean its so easy for the rest of us. Beneath my smile, I am slowly dying inside. I shouldn’t need to share why I am off to Colorado each month but wish that before people speak, they could just f**king think that perhaps just one is not a choice.

Perhaps I was more than a little sensitive. That same morning, Miles started talking about his little sister and brother, named Spencer (also a Thomas train). He has always loved his friends baby brothers and sisters but had never expressed his own wish for one. Knowing that this is now part of his awareness raises the stakes on this transfer even more. Its not just for me and Dave anymore. I don’t want to let him down.

No comments:

Post a Comment